Saturday, November 21, 2009

Mt Ellinor

One of the things I've missed most about the North West is the view. I love mountains. I grew up with the Olympics 25 miles west, the Cascades 50 miles east, and Mt Rainier 60 miles south. Satoko needed a day to herself and I needed a day in the mountains, so Linus and I went up to the top of Mt Ellinor. Mt Ellinor is a 5866ft peak on the south west end of the Olympics. The trail head starts at 3500ft and after a steep 1.6 miles your at the top.

We had to admire the cool bike on the ferry. This girl looked like she had already been on the rode for quite some time.

We had just ridden the monorail a couple days before. During a water break, Linus found a perfect log. This is him being the monorail speeding from westlake (a rock) to the space needle (a water bottle.)

This is about half way up. About this time he started climbing himself and gave my shoulders a break. If anyone knows French, let us know what his shirt says.

After about two hours, we finally made it to the top and got the prize. The best view of the Olympics. This is Mt Olympus 20 miles north west and about 2000ft higher.

We took about an hour break. Ate a couple sandwiches and bananas. Linus mostly sat and ate trail mix.

He must have been hungry because he wouldn't share with the chipmunks.

"The Mountain" characteristically floating above the haze.

Here is my poorly stitched panoramic. I was cheap and used my wide angle 20mm lens along with its distortion and ghosts. When you travel across a country and sweat a gallon of water to get to the top of a mountain, don't try to save $2 worth of film. Put on the good old 50mm.

This is a hand held night shot on ISO 50 Velvia, but still makes me homesick.

No comments:

Post a Comment