Monday, July 6, 2009

Appalachian Trail

On Independence Day, Linus and I went looking for some mountains. The Appalachian Trail is about an hour west of us. I'd like to hike the whole thing someday, but Linus now seems to only have the patience to hike about one mile on my shoulders.

I tried to show him how to use walking sticks to encourage him to hike on his own feet. Unfortunately, he had more fun using really long hiking sticks from upon my shoulders.


After a while he discovered that the trail was marked with white blazes and then made a great navigator. After that he claimed to not get lost but said that mom was lost because she couldn't see the painted trees from home.


We finally made it to the end of the park (1.5 miles with 500 feet of climb).


He was then ready to go home so that he could say, "Hi mama, I'm home." At first he wanted me to get the car, but after a couple crackers he consented to walk down with me -- again, mostly on my shoulders. After a long nap in the car, he told his mother all about the Mountain he climbed.

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you guys! Thank you for taking him out so that I can get some break...hee hee. I promise, someday, I will give you a break too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allen - you are such a great dad! How fun to go on a hike with your daddy :)

    ReplyDelete